Acuant's GDPR Statement
Acuant, Inc. believes that individuals should be in control of their Personal Data and recognizes that the need for strong, customer friendly identity proofing solutions has never been greater. As Personal Data is continuously at risk, we strive to create trusted solutions that put individuals at ease and give them control of their data, while simultaneously allowing businesses to address the appropriate level of risk and offer the appropriate security. Acuant, as a data processor under the GDPR is compliant with the rigorous demands of the legislation and we want to work and cooperate with our current and future partners and be prepared to meet the requirements of the GDPR together.
The General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) is a legal framework that sets guidelines for the collection and processing of Personal Data of individuals within the European Union (EU). Any company that holds personal data of EU residents or processes data of EU residents is accountable under the GDPR, regardless of the company’s physical location.
Acuant’s Security Measurements
Acuant has implemented technical and organizational measures to ensure the security of the Personal Data while the data is in Acuant’s possession or control. The security measures that Acuant has implemented include, but are not limited to:
- Encryption of the Personal Data during transmission;
- Prevention of accidental or unauthorized access, reading, copying, modification, removal or destruction of the Personal Data;
- Access is restricted to Acuant’s employees who have a “need to know” in order to carry out the purpose of the processing and all of those employees are under an obligation of confidentiality with Acuant;
- Training of Acuant’s employees regarding the proper handling of Personal Data;
- The data center where the Personal Data is processed and/or stored has restricted access;
- Use of technological means (e.g. firewalls) to prevent unauthorized access to the Personal Data while it is in Acuant’s possession or control;
- A disaster recovery plan which allows the restoration of all Personal Data in the event of a catastrophic event;
- Logging of all processing activity of the Personal Data which records when the Personal Data was processed, what processes the Personal Data underwent, anyone that accessed the Personal Data, where and when the Personal Data was transmitted and when the Personal Data was erased from Acuant’s SAAS service; and
- Annual review and evaluation of the adequacy of Acuant’s security measures.
Data Subject’s Access to the Personal Data
Acuant’s Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) may be contacted at [email protected]
Data Subjects may contact the DPO about all issues related to processing of their Personal Data and exercise all of their rights under the GDPR. A Data Subject is entitled to request and the DPO shall respond without undue delay to the following:
- To know the content of the Personal Data being processed and/or stored by Acuant
- Correction, amendment, or deletion of their Personal Data if inaccurate
- To whom the Personal Data has been disclosed
The information given to you by Acuant concerning technical, legal, or professional aspects of Acuant’s compliance with the GDPR is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal or professional advice nor create any legal obligation or liability on the part of Acuant, Inc.
Last revised: May 17, 2018
CCPA Privacy Notice
Privacy Statement – California
This PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS supplements the information contained in Acuant, Inc.’s or its subsidiaries’ (collectively “we”, “us”, or “our”) GDPR Statement, Acuant Customer Experience Privacy Statement, AssureID Connect Privacy Statement, and applies solely to visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California (“consumers” or “you”). This notice is intended to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) which is effective as of January 1, 2020 and other California Privacy laws. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice. This Notice does not cover personal information not subject to the CCPA rights.
Information We Collect
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website and/or Products, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information”); and/or
- That is about you but is anonymized so that the collected information does not identify you.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site or use any of our Products. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners.
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
Use of Personal Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- For testing, research, analysis and product development.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our clients or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
We will not collect additional personal information data or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice. We also do not sell personal information, so we don’t have an opt-out feature.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at 1 (213) 867-2611; or
- Email [email protected]
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child (16 years old or younger).
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. Any additional requests during the same 12-month period will be processed by us after payment of an administrative fee. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 45 or 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. If applicable, the response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance, specifically by electronic mail communication.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, the ways in which we collect and use your information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us as follows
Phone: 1 (213) 867-2625
Email: [email protected]
Attn: Data Privacy Officer
6080 Center Drive Suite 850
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Last Revised: December 31, 2019
Acuant FaceID Privacy Statement
Our standard Acuant API gives customers access to 30+ third-party data sources, 300+ watch lists, and award-winning identity verification, fraud prevention and compliance solutions, including one to one facial recognition and match services, part of which is performed by our trusted third-party partners. How does the facial recognition and match solution work?* We use the standard API to collect an image from an identity document and a selfie image captured through our customer’s identity verification interface. We transmit these images to a trusted third-party partner that performs a facial comparison using the latest available technology, and specified algorithms, to determine whether the faces contained in the two images belong to the same person and to generate a “Face Match Score” on a scale of 0 to 100 representing the confidence level that the images of the individual’s match. Each third-party partner is contractually limited to using the images or facial biometric data for purposes of performing the image comparison on our and our customer’s behalf. Once the comparison match is complete, the Face Match Score is passed through the Acuant API to our customer to help the customer determine their level of confidence that the individual submitting the selfie is the same person as the individual on the identity document.
We and our customers do not receive any facial biometric data generated from the images, and our third-party partners are contractually required to destroy the images and any biometric data in accordance with a data retention schedule which does not exceed 6 months unless the underlying transaction was determined to be fraudulent in which case the data may be retained for 12 months. Our customer may retain the original images and the Face Match Score in accordance with their policies. Upon the customer’s request, we may retain the Face Match Score on our customer’s behalf for the amount of time requested by the customer strictly in accordance with our contractual agreement with the customer or three years, whichever is shorter. We will not store the Face Match Score after we cease to have a relationship with the customer unless we otherwise obtain permission or are required by law.
*For Government customers, the services are performed pursuant to the government contract and may differ from these disclosures.
Acuant accepts VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Current billing address and phone information must be included with every order. Billing information must be verifiable with the issuing bank. If this information cannot be verified with the bank, the order will be cancelled.
Alternative payment forms are accepted such as bank wires, ACH Transfers and Payment Terms. In order to be set-up for these alternate forms of payment please contact [email protected] or call us at (213) 867-2625.
Credit Card Security
Persons who commit fraudulent activity will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Web browsers transmit a unique address that can be used by law enforcement officials to identify fraudulent activity. Both the FBI and the US Secret Service are responsible for investigating Internet fraud cases.
Fraudulent information will be provided to the issuing bank, shipping carriers, and networked with our business partners.
Sales tax will be added to orders, as applicable, based on the destination. For further information please contact [email protected] or call us at (213) 867-2625. On international orders, additional taxes or duties may be charged for some countries by Fedex or local authorities, which are at the customer responsibility.
- We use the services of premium carriers (UPS, FedEx, USPS).
- Our delivery options are Ground, 2nd day Air, 3 days Select, Overnight and international.
- Delivery times are stated in business days, and do not include order processing times.
- Ground: 5-7 business days (not counting shipping day)
- 2nd day Air: 2 business days (not counting shipping day)
- 3 days Select 3 business days (not counting shipping day)
- Overnight: Next day for orders accepted Monday through Thursday before 11:00AM PST
- Overnight orders accepted after 11:00AM pacific time will be shipped on the next day
- Overnight Orders Accepted on Friday before 11:00AM, will be delivered on Monday
- International: FedEx International priority 4-5 business days
All deliveries are insured and guaranteed against loss, theft and damage.
If you should experience any freight damage, please submit a request.
Deliveries can be expected by combining order processing time and shipping time.
Order Processing Time
Our efficient processing system enables us to ship most of the orders the same day or within one business day. Delays to the above are expected for weekend orders. We ship Monday through Friday.
Destinations and International Orders
We ship to the continental United States. In addition, we ship to almost every country in the world.
Billing to an International Address
Your billing information must be the same as listed for you by your credit card provider. We accept foreign billing addresses, but we may require (in rare cases) additional documentation prior to shipping your first order. We may ask to have a faxed copy of your passport or driver’s license, along with a copy of either your credit card billing statement, or a copy of the credit card you will be using.
International Shipping Method
We use FedEx International Priority. For some countries additional taxes or duties may be charged by FedEx or local authorities and are the responsibility of the customer.
We will replace defective products for up to 1 year from purchase date.
Return Policy (RMA)
- 30 day money back applies to orders by end-user with number of units under 10.
- 30 day money back exclude shipping and handling fees.
- Orders greater than 10 units will be subjected to restocking fees.
- Resellers have 30 days to return or exchange their units. A fee of 25% will be charged for unopened items (restocking fee). Open items may be rejected.
- Anything outside of the above guidelines requires approval.
If you are not satisfied with our products for any reason, you may return it for a refund or a replacement within thirty (30) days of delivery. Acuant Inc., understands that exchanging and returning products may be an inconvenience but we strive to make the process a simple and straightforward one. We will gladly help you exchange or return your product, when it falls within the guidelines below.
Terms and Conditions
Products that have been damaged by customers cannot be returned. The damages can include but are not limited to scratched, cracked, or chipped hardware, misuse, and/or neglect. Damaged products are absolutely not qualified for refund, replacement, or warranty protection.
A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number is required for all returns. Returns without an RMA number will not be accepted.
Please contact our Customer Care department by email at [email protected], or phone at (213) 867-2625, to request an RMA number. Return address and instructions will be provided when an RMA number is issued.
Failure to comply with the return instruction may result in an invalidation of your return.
To obtain an RMA number and receive return instruction, please provide us with the following information:
- Invoice, Sales Order, or Pick number
- Product description or item code
- Reason for the return/exchange
- Contact information such as email address and phone number
Refund or replacement will be granted if an RMA number is requested within fifteen (15) calendar days of product delivery.
NO RMA number will be issued after 30 calendar days of product delivery.
RMA’s must be received no more than fifteen (15) business days from the RMA issue date for shipments from the continental USA. Overseas and International shipments will have an extension of twenty-one (21) business days. After the allowed time, Acuant will invalidate the RMA and it will be the customer’s responsibility to arrange shipping with freight prepaid to ship the late RMA back to the customer.
30 day money back applies to purchases of fewer than ten scanners/units by an End-User. Orders greater than ten units will be subjected to restocking fees for unopened items. 30 day money back exclude shipping and handling costs.
Resellers have 30 day to return or exchange their units, there is a 25% restocking fees for returned unopened items.
Products MUST be returned in good condition, with all original parts and packaging (even if opened). A fifteen percent (15%) fee will be charged for incomplete returns (up to thirty percent (30%) if multiple accessories are missing).
Products that have been damaged by customers cannot be returned. If damaged product is returned, it is the customer’s responsibility to arrange shipping with freight prepaid to ship the damaged product back to the customer.
All RMA’s must be shipped with freight prepaid. Any shipments sent COD will be refused. Shipment charged to Acuant’s accounts will result in a partial forfeiture of your refund.
Shipping related charges are not refundable; unless the return is a result of Acuant error (you received the wrong product).
Acuant is not responsible for lost return packages. It is the responsibility of the customer to use reliable shipping methods or insuring the shipment in the event of a lost package.
Please keep all shipping records until your account or original method of payment has been credited and/or until you receive the replacement product.
Please allow 1-2 weeks for refund process. Refunds will only be applied to the same method of the original purchase.
To safeguard against possible abuses of Acuant’s return policy, we reserve the right to charge a restocking fee of fifteen percent (15%) at our discretion.
Special orders or quantities of ten (10) or more are subject to higher rates such as a 25% restocking fee. In most cases, it is recommended that the items be tested in the field prior to deploying multi-volume quantities as returns may not be accepted. Terms for exchanges/returns of high quantity or special order items will be set at the time of ordering.
Refused or Undeliverable Shipment
Customers who refuse packages at the time of delivery or provide an undeliverable address will be charged the shipping and handling fee.
Loss or Damage in Shipment
Claims for lost packages must be made to Acuant by the customer. Please follow the instructions we provide you.
Claims for damaged products in shipment must be made to Acuant by the customer. Please keep the original shipping boxes; we will need these items for further investigation.
Defective Product and Warranty
If the product fails within the warranty period, please contact Acuant Technical Support department at (213) 867-2630 for instructions before sending the defective product back to us.